RSS

Welcome to my Blog
Hope you enjoy reading.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Review: Bitter Fruits by Sarah Daltry

Bitter Fruits
by Sarah Daltry
Released Date: RERELEASE WILL HAPPEN BY THE END OF 2013
Series: Bitter Fruit #1
Pages: 185
View/Purchase: Goodreads, Amazon,

Attending a vampire-themed masquerade party seems like a strange way to spend a night, but Nora is sick of frat parties and bars. Meeting Alec was just a bonus. Despite their immediate attraction, however, Alec is wary of involving himself with Nora, and when she pushes it, she discovers that Alec has secrets that could destroy them both. Is she willing to risk everything for a man she hardly knows? How far into darkness will he take her?

When Nora attempts to follow, however, things grow more complicated. Someone is hunting her - someone tied to a secret that goes back to the beginning of man. Soon, Nora finds herself drawn to two men, each with his own agenda. Can she save them both when one is destined to die?

(Summary taken from Goodreads)

My Review: 

*ARC provided by Netgalley*

This is not your typical vampire love story... 

I was really eager to read this book from the very first time that I read the synopsis. It sounded like a book that I would typically read. The very beginning immediately caught my attention, the way the author started the book was interesting and it left me wondering more of the characters. Needless to say, I felt that the very first chapters were a bit too rushed for my liking. The story starts with Nora, a college student going to a masquerade ball with her friend/roommate Scarlet. The atmosphere of the party is Gothic-like and it helps cover Alec's true identity. They meet and their attraction is so instantaneously that they can't keep their hands off each other. As she leads him to one of the rooms, they suddenly encounter Caleb, Alec's handsome brother. Alec claims to want Nora, yet his mood changes and tells her that he doesn't want to corrupt someone as pure as her. Nora is then distracted by someone yelling coming out of the house claiming that a “monster” had bitten her. When she turns to see Alec, he had already disappeared.

The story itself was interesting, it's full of twists and turns that made it enjoyable to read. I did find Nora a bit irritating sometimes. As a character/heroine she doesn't know what to do without hurting the two brothers. Alec's personality was the sweetest and the one that attracted me towards his character even more. On the other hand, Caleb is the wild and charming. He definitely knows how to have fun. The chemistry between the two brothers is practically nonexistent. They don't like each other because of the curse that they have. Nora is attracted to both of them, but she has to find the balance to save/keep them both. I was surprised to see how everything unfolded at the end. The author mixes vampire and stories/myths of the bible. It was definitely not something that I was expecting to read from the synopsis of the story. Was I disappointed? Not really. The author found a way to incorporate all of those details into a good story, but I did find that it wasn't as well-written. I felt that it needed something more to make it perfect. The end ties everything together, and I'm wondering if she is going to write another book. I would recommend everyone to give it a try, it's definitely not your typical love story, but it's definitely a book worth exploring more.


My Rating:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment below:D