RSS

Welcome to my Blog
Hope you enjoy reading.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Review: Hooked by Liz Fichera

Hooked 
by Liz Fichera
Release Date: Published January 29th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
Series: Hooked #1
Pages: 368
View/Purchase: Goodreads, Amazon, B&N

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done. 

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.


(Summary taken from Goodreads)

My Review: 

            *ARC provided by Netgalley*

Hooked is story about Fred, a Native American girl (who loves golf) and gets picked to play at a boys golf team by the coach. What Fred wasn't expecting to get, was a bully (who doesn't seem to stop picking on her) and romance. My first impression of the story was that it had a unique plot. I wasn't sure how the story was going to turn out, but as I kept reading, surprisingly the story turned out to be really good. The story was well-written, and well-researched. I'm guessing Fichera really loves golf, for it to become the catalyst of the story. Apart from it, there were social issues in the story, considering that Fred is Native American in an all-white school. There were scenes that refer to the topic of racism, (not in a huge way), but I think the author did a really good job on keeping the story focused on Fred and Ryan and how they had to overcome the problems around them. 


What kept me reading was the ability to see how apart from being an outsider, Fred was able to stay strong throughout the story and how her well power helped her overcome all sorts of obstacles. Although there were scenes that were a bit overdone and maybe too dramatic, the story flowed beautifully and it definitely make it to my favorite's shelf. I can't wait to read more of Fichera in the future.


My Ratings:


                                                                                                                                 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so don't be afraid to leave me a comment below:D